While on a recent vacation trip to Marion County, Florida, I had a discussion with my Mother-in-Law, Fay. I was flipping through one of her many cookbooks and told her I was going to a Julie/Julia and make every recipe out a cookbook.
I love a good cup of tea. I mean really, who doesn’t right? I found a lovely used cookbook at a library sale and its all about foods at tea party’s and thought, well why not.
Here is the first recipe from the book. It’s a very basic scone recipe.
Scones With Jam and Cream
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour – 1 tlbs sugar – 2 tlbs butter chopped – 1 1/4 cups buttermilk – jam of your choosing – clotted or devonshire cream
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease cast iron skillet.
- Sift flour and sugar together; cut in butter.
- Stir in buttermilk and mix just until combined. (will be a sticky dough) Turn dough onto floured surface, knead gently until smooth.
- Shape dough into a circle and press down 3/4-inch. Cut into 8 triangles or individual 1 1/2 inch circles.
- Place in cast-iron skillet and bake 15 minutes or until slightly browned.
Serve with jam and cream and your favorite cuppa tea. (mine is black tea with sweetened condensed milk)
prep + cook time 35 minutes